From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:20:11 -0700
Bob Harrison wrote:

> Many beeks in Florida report bee kills with bees in orange
> traced back to temik use. Some growers still using as the
> first label read instead of doing as the new label requires.

Bob, Temik is a Restricted Use pesticide..."For retail sale to
and use only by Certified Applicators or persons under
the direct supervision of a Certified Applicator, and only for
those uses covered by the Certified Applicator's certification."

In California, at least, that means the grower and / or
applicator must first obtain a Restricted Use Permit and
notify the County Ag Dept. of exactly when and how it will
be applied.  At it's option, the Ag. Dept. may come out,
unannounced, to the growers property to make sure the
product is being applied properly.

So grower and / or applicator ignorance of what the label
says and requires is virtually impossible. And growers
realize that violating the label of a restricted use pesticide
risks severe penalties.  Also, orange juice packers, like
other tree nut and fruit packers, routinely monitor pesticide
levels in their  products and growers know this.  So that
is an additional incentive for growers not to take chances
violating the label.  For all these reasons, I have a hard
time believing  that "some growers [are] still using as
the first label read instead of doing as the new label
requires."

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.