From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 12:07:45 EST
Jane Beckman  [[log in to unmask]] who is "Getting tired of
explaining Usenet News..." makes points in favor of the proposed new
NEWSNET group that are precisely why I don't favor placing this
discussion on the mainstream of the information highway.

Jane writes:
>"For one thing, it's NOT A MAILING LIST.  It's a USENET NEWS GROUP.
> This means no esoteric knowledge of its existence is needed,...
> (S)o all those "America OnLine" folks can drop in...  And USENET
> GROUPS like rec.gardens will have somewhere to refer folks who say
> "I'd like to talk about bees, are there any beekeeping groups
> *ON USENET*?  This last factor is called "accessibility."  To casual
> netters.

I am not looking forward to the day when I have to wade through multiple
postings to sci.agriculture.beekeeping to find what little educating
information may be contained therein.  EVERYONE in cyberspace will have
instant access!  Postings WILL range from very knowledgeable posts, to
"bees attacking my hotdogs".  Serious netters will find that the
increased "accessibility" will generate a great deal of non-informative
chatter.

Jane continues:
>"...you don't have email cluttering up your box if you're only a
> casual occasional reader,..."

There is a LISTSERV option individual subscribers can set to have a
daily digest of the BEE-L sent rather than individual postings.
              TELL LISTSERV@ALBNYVM1 SET BEE-L DIGEST
or send mail to LISTSERV@ALBNYVM1 with one line saying
              SET BEE-L DIGEST
Setting this option does wonders for relieving cluttered mailboxes.

> "And "Malibu Skipper" et.al. maybe will periodically disrupt *them*
>  and not the bee list!

I suspect that the "Malibu Skipper's" of the networld will disrupt
sci.ag.beekeeping AND BEE-L rather than keeping the mischief to USENET.
And by virtue of it's location, sci.ag.beekeeping will inherently have
MORE Malibu Skippers, and if they don't blat to BEE-L directly, I
suspect that any ruckus on sci.ag.beekeeping will spill over to BEE-L.

Jane finishes with:
>"Excuse me for yelling in the paragraph above, but sometimes it's
> necessary to emphasize the difference between this list and the
> general Usenet...
>
> Personally, I also think the Usenet group might make a great screening
> device for people who are serious enough to want to subscribe to the
> bee list."

I suspect that the Usenet group will just point the way to BEE-L, entice
many to clutter both distribution methods with unwanted drivel, and
denigrate the quality of BEE-L.  Sci.ag.beekeeping will lead to much,
much more of the following:

>"Also it will make it harder for the list mail tpd's to dump guys like
> me because they don't like what I have to say or how I say it. I have
> been kicked out of the bee-l group for the 2nd time in a year.<BG> I
> don't care that much for myself as I already know it all, just ask
> me, but its less then fair to the 470+ bbs's that I echo the worthwhile
> stuff too and the interested people who may want to read some of it.
> I intend to continue to monitor this group, the bbs's and the new news
> group one way or another.<G>"

I'll defend to my death Andy Nachbaur's first amendment rights to say
and post what he feels, and I'll rest better at night knowing that he's
watching our groups, but I don't feel that the time I spent reading his
post did anything to enhance my interests in bees.  Neither does this
pontification do anything to enhance anyone's interest in bees, and I
hope that steps will be taken to avoid more of the same, although I'm
sure I'll be flamed to death for what I have written.  I just don't see
that a schism in this group is a positive thing.  Knowledgeable people
WILL find BEE-L (see how many have already!).  Those who truly desire
the information will seek out the answers where they exist.

I keep likening this issue to the issue of where do I locate my hives.
I don't place my hives on a busy street corner, for more than just the
obvious reasons.  A street corner hive would certainly be a way to raise
peoples' interest!  But a street corner hive would also invite those
whose interests aren't related to bees, per se.  A street corner hive
would affect those who just happen to be walking by (casual netters).  A
street corner hive would also invite vandals (mischievous netters).  To
avoid the passers by and the vandals, I locate my hives off the beaten
path.  And I welcome any opportunity to educate informed parties who are
inquisitive enough to seek me out and request a tour of my apiary.  But I
don't advertise either.