From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:25:36 -0700
To all BEE-L subscribers:

   I recently posted a "fact" sheet about varroa mites intended to inform a
congressman about just how serious a problem we face with regard to
pollination of our crops.

   A person I like and respect very much posted a private note to me
(thankfully privately --- rather than "flaming" me over the BEE-L net),
indicating that he felt many of my "facts" about the spread of varroa mites
were wrong.

   His input, I must confess, took me aback, since we had gathered input
during a three year period from a great many people (including him) for the
article we published last June in BEE CULTURE.  Up until now no one has
indicated that the information we included therein was in error.

   I caution everyone, therefore, to use with caution my previous posting
while they write their congressmen.  Please double check the facts you use.

*******

   I asked this person to write and distribute his own fact sheet, one that
could be used by everyone for the purpose I intended.  Unfortunately, he
leaves momentarily on a several month trip and probably is too pressed for
time for such a task.

*******

   Editorial:  I guess that is one of the problem we face with "facts."
For example, I now have to draft a reply to a letter that appeared in the
January issue of BEE CULTURE in order to correct a rather complete
misrepresention of points I published in the October issue of that journal.

   Actually, that will be sort of fun, since the mistakes made were so
egregious.

                                                        Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                         (805) 893-2838 (UCSB office)
Ecol., Evol., & Marine Biology           (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Univ. of Calif., Santa Barbara           (805) 963-8508 (home office & FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

*  "THIS LIFE may be the only chance you'll ever get to show what     *
*   you can do."                                      Pot-Shots #6923 *
*          Copyright, Ashleigh Brilliant --- used with permission     *