From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:24:14 EST
In a message dated 11/23/00 1:16:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I would venture a guess that the honey was not completely ripe (moisture
<18%)

>  when it was harvested or if it was marginally ripe, granulation  would
>  increase the moisture in the liquid portion of the stored honey to the
point
>  that it started to ferment.

    Generally this fermentation on crystallized honey only affects a small
amount at the surface of the container, where a film of water forms. You can
carefully skim a quarter inch or so at the surface, then warm the honey to
reliquify, and it should be OK.

    If the honey was not properly cured at the beginning, it may involve more
of the honey than the surface.  But you may find it salvageable with
rewarming. I wouldn't throw it out without trying.  In this case I would warm
it briefly to around 150 to kill the yeasties and vinegar bacteria.

    Many beekeepers have made warm boxes of old refrigerators, where you can
hold honey at 100 degrees or a little more, for a day or two This does not
degrade the honey as much as higher temps. Check the archives for discussion
of this.

   It's a good idea not to let crystallized honey sit too long, especially
thru warm, humid weather. It's better reliquify again for long term storage,
or else to freeze it to stop any fermentation.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com