Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2012 00:18:43 -0700
Bill,

> I guess I am not the first person on this list to deal with the issues
> of an aging body and physically intensive hobby/career/passion.

And you won't be the last either...

> I think a horizontal TBH would be cool to try...bees still can do fine
> in a horizontal design in this climate.

TBHs are not necessarily trapezoidal, many are rectangular and some of them are built to Lang dimensions.

> Any thoughts?

You could do a horizontal hive with your existing equipment by screwing three deeps together.

a) cut the edges off some undrawn plastic combs
b) In the sides of the deeps to be joined, sabresaw a hole 2" down from the frame ledge and in from the bottom and sides - it's about 5"x14".
c) Screw the boxes together with a 3" comb strip along the tops. A 2" strip across the bottom and at the sides are used as filler strips to keep the boxes parallel.
d) The top strip is deep enough to hang inside the hole and serve as a starter strip for drawing comb.
e) Use 1.5" screws 2" apart around the perimeter, about 1" in. You could use fewer screws and compensate with your nail gun.

The bees leave space around the 5x14 comb they build and move readily from front to back.

You can add individual deeps or modified vent lids on each box (mine have migratory lids). Have thought about using clips but a couple of screws keep the lids in place through heavy winds.

Three hives screwed together are heavy, but a sturdy base 18-24" high built out of treated wood is easy to knock together. If you run double high, remove frames from the top box into a deep in a wheelbarrow to gain access to the bottom deep. You never have to lift a full box again, your back will be appreciative.

> Guess it would render my radial extractor useless, right?

Not this way. Just about everything you have can be used so you won't have to replace "screened bottom boards, slatted racks, shims, lids, covers" though you may have to modify them to fit side-by-side.

Water in the hives has not been a problem, but snow would be an issue for you. It can get hot here, so have considered building full length tops from 2" foam sandwiched between 3/8" exterior ply. They would be lightweight and sitting on top of the migratory lids there would be no propolis to deal with. Such a lid might be a necessity for your climate.