From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:54:47 -0500
I think we need more research on both Nosema ceranae, and also basic research on bee nutrition.

In terms of treatment, fumagillin seems to complicate the issue, and there are lots of mixed messages concerning the efficacy and even the need for treatment.

In terms of nutrition related to Nosema, I'd like to know more about whether the seasonal fluctuation of ceranae spore counts are related to nutritional issues brought on, or abated, by the amino acid content available in seasonal pollens.

These are some of the issues brought up at the 2016 American Bee Research Conference.

>The effects of pollen variety on honey bee susceptibility to Nosema infection are being examined. Fumagillin treatment is found >to be deleterious to honey bee hemocytes. Diet also affects Nosema infection in several ways. Canadian information reveals >that toxicity of fumagillin to humans is important because residues from the material in beekeeping equipment might pose a >direct risk to the operator. Finally, new microscopic techniques are improving the ability to identify Nosema spores under the >microscope and in the honey bee midgut.

Further on bee nutrition,  I think this study out of New Castle University under Dr. Wright, Professor of Insect Neuroethology, would be valuable to replicate and expand to include a possible liquid nutritional supplement.

>Using liquid food solutions containing the 10 essential amino acids and sucrose, her team has identified how adult worker honey >bees and bumblebees balance their intake of amino acids and carbohydrates.

>Nutritional balance of essential amino acids and carbohydrates of the adult worker honeybee depends on age (2014)
>Paoli PP, Donley D, Stabler D, Saseendranath A, Nicolson SW, Simpson SJ, Wright GA

> http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00726-014-1706-2

Also, how the protein content of commercially available pollen substitutes is absorbed by the bees would be good to know. We often use the amount of consumption or brood stimulation to evaluate a pollen substitute but is that correlation too narrow?  Could there be a difference in the health of the bees being produced between different products?

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire, Ct.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire, Ct.