Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 05:23:54 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Alden Marshall shares:  "When possible I tackle the job from inside, usually less
work and expense to repair for the customer."

I did this once trying to remove a colony from a third floor apartment building.  Thankfully (or maybe not) the owner of the apt building said he was going to redo the apartment in question.  So we went into the hive from the inside.

Holy Cow!  What a mess!  We had smoke (and even putting the smoker in an open window ironically forces the wind to change direction blowing smoke back inside), we had bees flying around the apartment, we had sheet-rock dust covering everything, we had globs of honey and wax comb on the floor, and even though we lined the floor with newspaper, we had crumpled globs of newspaper sticking to our shoes.  And to top it off, I had the "help" of the apartment owner.

The owner was very nice and kept saying, "That's okay.  I'm redoing the apartment."  And I enjoyed the challenge, but it was also a wonderful education.

More and more, I'm doing this less and less. But I'll still come get a swarm hanging on a branch for free!

Grant
Jackson, MO

* Search the BEE-L archives at:                       *
* http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2