From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2014 12:33:01 -0400

Thanks Cam, Uncle Willie was the only one that I know who used these practices at the time.  Many of his neighbors did not survive the 1930s with their homesteads intact or manage to keep their herds. Wonder whether Willie was following extension recommendations or was one of the originators. of the ideas.  He passed decades ago, so I can't ask my source.  I do remember, he didn't much like riding horses to check his 11 sections of rangeland; trucks were rough riding, so he pressed his Plymouth car into service.  Bit hard on the car, but he had a radio and comfortable seats, and a place to keep his tools dry.  Nowdays, when the lines btw trucks and cars in terms of comfort are blurred, he'd be amused.