Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2016 09:36:04 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
While I would certainly acknowledge that there has been significant hyperbole when it comes to the pollinator/neonic debate (on both sides),  I don't think the same applies to aquatic insects which aren't nearly as popular with the public or media.

Adam,   Fully agree  it can be on both sides,  but a quick search of google shows why.   Try looking up Neonics in water,  and you get very quickly 53,000 results,  the top 100 of which all start exactly the same.

"Neonics are causing CCD, and USGS found them in water in the Midwest"

1000's of alarmist websites all pointing to the exact same study!  All claiming the same thing!  None filled with data......Kind of scary that the anti pesticide group is so dominating actually.  Even the report you linked to says "global" even though the only checked a 9 countries.

So unfortunately some choose to fight fire with fire.

My point was such as the EU,s ban on certain neonics,  I have seen both headlines,  Bees saved,  and bees  not any better...  No serious baseline of pollinator health before hand,  and certainly none will be done afterwards.  The anti pesticide group has only one goal, a complete ban.  This is a tough balance no doubt about it,  the goals of feeding the world, and not killing insects in the process is no easy task.

In Canada's case,  sure looks like its may end up as the same mess,  where politics and emotions rule the day.

We have been discussing this on a FB thread,  seems there are  several Midwest beekeepers who never want to go back.  I hope you guys can slow down and take a good honest look before  yet another war with the farming community takes place.  A battle between farmers and beekeepers is always going to be a no win situation for us.

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2