From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2016 08:23:12 -0400
A friend writes:

> The wax moths responsible for late-summer infestations may be progeny of moths that migrated from states at about the latitude of the Carolinas, or they may come from infestations that survived the winter in combs stored in warm cellars or partially heated garages in the north -- Morse, R. Complete Guide to BEEKEEPING. page 120

I agree that they _may be_, but I can't find evidence. On the contrary, in the following study, no wax moths were recorded.

Between 1982 and 2005, records of the incidence of Lepidoptera
from both light trapping and observations during the day
have been taken in the cliff-top garden (ca. 0.2 ha) at the Portland
Bird Observatory, Dorset, UK.

A grand total of 75 species of migratory Lepidoptera were
recorded at Portland between 1982 and 2005

The majority of migratory Lepidoptera to the south coast of
England originate from the south and will have to fly over a
minimum of 150 km of open sea to reach the recording site.

Migration of insects into Britain, as between all land areas, is a
persistent feature. It is considered to be the outcome of reproductive
bet-hedging – spreading breeding effort in space and
time over a range of environmental conditions

Sparks, T. H., Dennis, R. L., Croxton, P. J., & Cade, M. (2007). Increased migration of Lepidoptera linked to climate change. European Journal of Entomology, 104(1), 139.

PLB