From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:28:05 -0500
On 15 Feb 97 at 2:28, Jack & Susan Griffes wrote:
 - timing of
packages

> "A swarm in May is worth a load of hay.
>  A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.
>  A swarm in July isn't worth a fly."

Only if you are hoping for a crop this first year!! Most bee keepers can't
get beyond some of these old wives tales and become hide bound by their
implications. We start nucs quite late and they still are big enough to
get through the first winter.
        The reason I point this out? It is usually possible to obtain nucs etc
later when the spring furore has died down!

> already laying - she likely has her own bees emerging and is past the stage
> of early supersedure (the 3 frame syndrome) as well.

Could someone please give a bit more information on this 3 frame syndrome?
First I have heard about it, as I certainly don't suffer from it!

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks