From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 07:30:04 -0600
> I have periodically reviewed the subscriber list of Bee-L and I have
> noticed a strong trend for the "professionals" (i.e. those people
> _paid_ to offer info and support to beekeepers) to turn over faster
> than average subscribers...

Thanks for mentioning and expanding upon this perrenial problem
Phil.  It is a problem I have wrestled with for years now.  I have
come to the conclusion that this is actually in insoluable problem:
there are simply too may people with different needs and wants to be
able to satisfy them all.  BUT THERE IS A SOLUTION: (READ ON)...

Several important principles are in direct conflict here.  One is the
right and need to speak freely, the other is the need for discipline
and selectivity.  I don't think it is possible on one list.

The problem is that when we have one list and one newsgroup, we all
hear everything; that is both a blessing -- and a curse.

What we need is *several lists*, and it is to this end, I have been
working on setting up a new list -- and several discussion groups on
a web server.

After a lot (years) of thought and discussion with friends privately
what I have conclude is that:

1. BEE-L should continue just exactly the way that
it is -- only more so.

2. A separate moderated list called 'Best of BEE-L' will begin soon.
To that list, a moderator(s) will, on a daily basis, post selected
and edited articles from the main list.  This list will probably have
a respectable following of the 'elite' whose impatience with BEE-L
you have mentioned, since all the junk will be culled.

3. For those who do not wish to use USENET or mailing lists, four new
discussion areas have now come into being:
     *   Bee Science
     *   Commercial Beekeeping
     *   Hobby Beekeeping
     *   Beekeeping Advertisements (Free)
You can currently view them on one of my web servers from my
Internode Home Page (The address of which is always in my signature
below. Unfortunately, my provider is having problems installing some
necessary software on the server and I was waiting until today or
tomorrow to announce their existance.  (You forced me to jump the
gun with this premature announcement).

Although, they are not *fully* functional today, you can visit them at
http://www.internode.net/~allend/Bees

I'd appreciate brickbats and bouquets, since I have some fine tuning
to do.  I also expect to have *fully searchable* logs at this site
shortly.  (Maybe someones might volunteer to edit a log or two (trim
out excess headers, gratutous quotes and chatter, and monster
redundant sig lines and send them to me). More on this later.

4. Additionally, for real time chatter, Nick has set up a now-famous
real time chat page.

> BTW2,  I definately don't consider myself an expert, except perhaps
> in my own very narrow speciality.

One of the advantages of the internet is that everyone gets to speak,
but that we also get to select to whom we listen.

I hope these new additions advance both freedom and breadth of
speech... and our ability to select what we wish to read.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>