From:
Bob Bassett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 18:27:01 -0400
Hello Preacher and All,
It really sounds like you have an infestation of Hive Beetles.  This is a
classic symptom.  You should notice the beetles running out of the top of
your hive, at the frame rests, when you open it.  Check the brood section.
Beetles seem to attack the brood section first.  You will have no mistake if
you see the beetle larvae in the brood frames.  They look like maggots.

Give the swarm a new box with fresh frames.  Make sure the bees are crowded
in the new box, so that they will be better able to cover and defend the new
comb, as it is drawn.  Look up the numerous articles in the Archives, on
Hive Beetles.  These beetles are tough to deal with, but I feel we will find
a solution, in time.  The bright side is, you have only one hive out of 25
down.  This could mean you have some good resistant stock there to work
with.  The Beetles don't kill all the hives they get into.

If you do find out you have beetles in this hive, you may be certain the
beetles will be in all of the other hives, in the vicinity. This is just
another thing we will have to deal with.  Remember, the beekeepers in
Africa, feel that the Beetle is just a minor pest.  I am hoping it will end
up as a minor pest here too, in time.

Bob Bassett