From:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter John Keating <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:48:49 -0400
Greetings
l have to agree with Ted about the  below mentioned problems, of course
everything happens at night when we can't see too well. To avoid the hives
slipping off the forks l welded a spot onto each fork close to the back.
This way the forks slip under the hive until the last few inches, and then
the little spots of weld bite into the bottom board and thus prevent the
hive slipping of and doing exactly as Ted has described. It's even more
spectacular when there is two hives on the forks. I have worked with booms
for over 17 years now and they often provoke a rich verbal monologue; maybe
the new Easy Loader is easier on the vocabulary??
Peter

    For the uninitiated I will mention a bit about using these machines. My
> carriage has forks that slide underneath a hive's bottom board. If for
some
> reason you stumble and happen to let a hive slip off the carriage in mid
> flight, the forks will spring skyward as the weight of the hive is
> released, giving the departing edge of the bottom board a sproing into the
> air thus flipping the hive upside down. This is never a happy moment for
> the bees or the beekeeper ( welcome to hell, here's your hive loader) but
> the bee boom probably gets a kick out of it. This can be avoided with
> practise but usually occurs on some hot sticky night in a yard that a bear
> has been bothering.
 With heavy hives this is a lot like sumo-wrestling in the moonlight and you
have to do a lot of fancy foot work to keep the upper hand.