From:
Robin Dartington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 22:19:28 +0000
Mark Berninghausen wrote:>ESHPA has a mast head that says "Promoting the Interests of New York State Beekeepers Since 1867".<

>If ESHPA isn't Promoting the Interests of New York Beekeepers, maybe it does need to change its logo, letterhead, masthead. <

From the outside it does seem that the problems in NYS may well stem from the over-limited objects stated in the masthead.  According to that, ESHPA is concerned only with the interests of a small group, I.e. its members, rather like a trades union. So it is natural that a particular interest group may have sought control in order to promote their own specific concerns, which may even be focussed on making money from their bees without interference.

On contrast, from BBKA website,    > The BBKA was set up in 1874 to promote and further the craft of beekeeping and to advance the education of the public in the importance of bees in the environment. It is the UK's leading organisation representing beekeepers. <. Accordingly, BBKA works only in the public interest, and so is registered as a charity and is eligible for grants, e.g Gift Aid, from Government and other charitable trusts.  The 24,000 members are around 50% of all beekeepers and the few large commercial beekeepers we have do not seem to take a part.   (They have their own Bee Farmers Association with less than 350 members. )

Perhaps, if ESHPA redefined its objects as the promotion of beekeeping and provision of education about bees and beekeeping,  i.e. to work in the public interest and not only in the interest of members, that might lead to fundamental changes. Of course,  the members of the public who would gain most from ESHPA would still be beekeepers, but beekeepers whose interests are largely commercial might no longer want to spend time on being involved.

Just a thought.

Robin