From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:52:52 -0700
On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Nick Wallingford wrote:

> >  "Has a dramatic loss of bees because of  Kishmar Virus or
> > suspected Kishmar virus happened or is happening in Australia?"
>
> I have spoken to a number of Australian beekeepers and Australia
> regulatory personnel.  None of them know anything about bee deaths
> due to Kashmir B virus.
>
> But since that isn't the story you want to hear, Andy, I'm sure
> you'll keep repeating the question until it can pretend to be the
> truth.
>
> Don't let reality stand in your way...

  Hi Nick and All,
   Kashmir B virus or various Bee viruses have been found where ever the
reseachers have looked. Dr. Brenda Ball in the UK has a very good handle
on Bee viruses.The problem is, is it the primary pathogen.There are to
date 23 viruses known in honey bees.We gained 2 last year.That is in the
world.
 The reality has to be acknowledged , bee viruses are all over the planet.
If they are a problem, has to do with other factors affecting the bees.It
costs a lot of money to detect a virus. So it has been very low on the
list of pathogens to look at in regards to the honey bee.If we don't look,
its not there. If we look it is there and not much can be done at this
time.We have one antiserium  at this time and that only works on one
virus.
 The research needed to explore bee viruses is very costly.Some
information is on the web. Look under Varroa- viruses. Dr Brenda Ball and
Dr. Bailey have a book called, Honey Bee Pathology. (Academic Press Ltd.
1991). I have a copy and gives some bacic info on viruses. It is out of
date, do to some of the work done over the last 3 years.
 One should not point fingers at any country, to state they have a problem
with viruses.We all have a problem and how big of a problem is still up
for debate.Of the research that has been done in the past , if you look
you will find. Don't look and then there is no problem to report. Even if
you find it, what are you going to do with it.There are many ramifications
in opening pandores Box.Most countries don't want the box opened. They did
a study in the USA. 8 states were investigated for Viruses, all 8 had
some.The only thing that happened was a little research on the part of
Varroa being a vector of the viruses.
 Lets not jump to high until we have more good information on viruses. I
have a major problem in trying to find out some answers for myself. I have
been following the virus problem for the last 3 years. I even put up a
post 3 years ago as to the death of some of my hives. They died too fast
for one to belive that the mite was the only pathogen present.It took 2
years for the USDA to acknowledge that the viruses had a play in the death
of the hives.School is still out on this one and it will be a long time to
get to the real answers.
 Everyone have a good day
 Best Regards
 Roy