From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:29:54 -0500
On 2 Jan 00, at 18:16, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> brood are a trigger, but again the bees are sensitive to CO2 and are
> efficient at air conditioning.  Have people who have increased
> ventillation in their hives through open mesh floors or additional
> entrances found it helps reduce Chalkbrood?

I wrote this up years ago, at the time was accused of trying to sell
more hives!!
        We found on adding our ventilation system to a number of hives the
incidence of chalk brood fell, noticeably. At the time the only other
suggested cure was to re-queen, which I disagreed with.
        I couldn't, and still don't understand what the genetics of the
queen has to do with a spore disease. That's a bit like suggesting
the re-queening of a hive suffering with foul brood, a waste of time.

The Bee Works, 5 Edith Drive, R R # 2.
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H2.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,