From:
Al Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 19:40:49 -0500
>    If you want to find these bases and take advantage of them,
>you need to work (study) a bit more, and open first your mind and
>soul...

My mind is very open, that is why many of us are on this list. We wish to
have good data to help us raise bees. What we ask is that you give us this
data, what are these oils doing to the bees, the mites and the hive. If you
cannot tell me the "what and the why" of a process then the only thing I
can judge a method on is results. Data on these "oils" seems to show that
colony survival does not rise far enough above random chance to make me
want to risk the damage I could do to my bees with them.

The problem here is that the "natural" thing is for the varroa to attack
bees, reproduce and attack more bees. Nature knows and feels nothing,
evolution deals with changes and survival. The process of evolution will
work to select the best of the mite and the best of the bee with equal
chances to both. The rules of "nature" will allow the extinction of every
honey bee on this planet with no bias at all due to the plants that depend
on the bee for reproduction, they will fall with not a thought from nature.

Is man part of nature? If yes then anything he does is natural. If no, then
man is a specail case and his methods could be superior to nature and
should be considered above natures.

As for my soul, well that will have to stay closed.

Al Lipscomb
[log in to unmask]  1275 4932 DFA1 97EB D3A1  903D 7563 2936 A66B 86B3
MCSE    AA4YU