From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:26:30 -0800
> Even those trying to do otherwise will most likely acquire some of this
RNAi from robbing, drifting, and the movement of migratory bees....how will
they select for resistant stock?

I will!

It helps to understand RNAi.

There are two general kinds of immune response--innate and acquired.  In
humans, our antibody response to viruses is largely acquired.  That is why
you get so many colds when you are young, and fewer when old--you have
acquired immunity by virtue of producing antibodies.  When humans get
vaccinated against virus and bacterial infections, it is to induce acquired
immunity--a natural process.

Bees don't produce antibodies, but their siRNA response works similarly.
When bees receive Remebee against specific virus strains, it is to induce
acquired immunity--a natural process.

The results of the field trials of Remebee indicate that it should not be
used excessively--I've reported in previous posts.  Its best use would be
against novel virus strains for which bees have not yet developed innate
immunity.  Such innate immunity will likely develop naturally whether or
not Remebee is given, based upon research by Eyal Maori.

Such resistance develops naturally in unmanaged bee populations at the cost
of significant losses of bees that are unable to ramp up the natural
acquired immunity quickly enough.  Some beekeepers may not be enthusiastic
about losing a large proportion of their operation in the process.
 Inoculation with Remebee (if it proves out) may help to reduce such losses
during the natural process of the development of population-wide immunity.

I am not pitching Remebee.  I am simply trying to give the List the benefit
of accurate information upon which to base subsequent discussion.

-
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com