From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 09:24:21 -0500
Note: you read this often in these defenses of breeding programs. Beekeepers
have kept bees for years without using miticides. Yet no evidence is ever
given. Who are these beekeepers? What is the mortality rate?

Who are they?  Well I can give you about 6 names real quick, one of them
even post here occasionally. Every one of them claims its their methods from
triple deeps to small cell, to the breeding program.
So far unfortunately it seems that none of them "have time" to breed or sell
queens, or when the queens do no better than any others its "the beekeepers
fault"

It's a personal pet peeve of mine....interesting claims.  If it were half
true these individuals would be setting on a gold mine.  Not for one second
do I believe that they don't know it. Mite restiant queens will sell all day
long at 100 each.  As long as they actually are.

 From what I see and have tested so far,  there are a couple of factors
besides hogwash at play.  Brood breaks, constant manipulations, and unknown
supercedures seem to be what's really going on.

Here in IL we get a lot of claims that "local queens" are the trick.  What's
really happening is a southern queen is put in, in April  and mites levels
start then. Local queens are not ready until late May to mid June.  Then
installed in already established hives.   This brood break while the new
queen comes online, is the real mechanism.  My testing shows that by the
following year,  there is no differences.

I also think there may be some level of "locality" playing into it.  IE some
areas are less apt to have the "mite bombs" Randy mentions.  Or hot dry area
such as AZ less compatible with mites.

I personally have spent lots of money and lots of time trying and testing
for both grooming and mite tolerant bees.  But I also make it a real point
to test apples to apples, and not give them credit for things that require
interventions.
If a hive needs brood breaks or splits to succeed,  then it doesn't make the
cut in my yard as mite tolerant or restraint.
Brood breaks and other methods such as splits are fine,  just don't pawn
them off as mite proof.

This is one area the "internet claims" are really painful.

Charlie