From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2013 08:00:30 -0400
Joe:

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the responsibility of the pest control operator and not enough on the home owner. When people call me, I tell them this: First, once a swarm is on your property, you own it and you can do whatever you want with it. You can sell it, kill it, ignore it (this is not true in some states, such as Arizona. There you are required by law to get it killed unless it is in a hive. Florida probably has similar regs, since most swarms on the loose are African bees)

I advise them that there are three courses of action. 1) DIY. For less than ten bucks you can get a big can of non-toxic wasp and hornet killer (contains detergent, mint oil, etc). But they have to seal up the cavity, obviously, or the problem will recur. 2) Hire somebody to kill the bees. I don't think most pest control operators do home repair, nor should they be expected to. 3) The most expensive option. Hire a beekeeper, who may have to tear away boards, etc. and charge an arm & a leg.

People should not be made to feel guilty about having to kill bees that have invaded their houses. They are a nuisance and a serious risk when in a house. Folks should be encouraged to seal up all openings that could attract not only bees, but wasps. I have a hole in the side of my house that has hornet nests in it a couple of times. I sealed it but the caulking cracked and wasps moved in again. I have never had a swarm show up at my place, not even with bait hives around. Maybe this year.

Pete