From:
GAVIN RAMSAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 19:18:58 +0100
> This year it is absolutely everywhere around here.

The neonicotinoid seed dressing on oilseed rape (aka canola) gives protection to the young plants from cabbage stem flea beetle, other flea beetles, and cabbage and peach-potato aphids which vector viruses as well as being direct pests.  By the time the plants flower the levels in nectar and pollen are such that there is no appreciable effect on honeybee foraging, to my eyes in my colonies and according to the data of local bee farmers.  I do accept that other bees may be more at risk, although here in Scotland several bee species have been becoming more rather than less common as ranges shift in response to global warming (I realise that if I could have worked GM into that last sentence I'd have upset almost everyone!).

OK, are predictions of a decline in OSR under the moratorium real, or just bluster generated by companies annoyed that their products will be off the market?  From what I am hearing it is likely to be real.  Farmers seem more reluctant to grow OSR in future - partly because they will have less certainty of being able to control these young plant issues.  Seed dressing is easy and, even if there are effective chemical replacements (not certain at the moment), spraying requires the cooperation of the weather plus soil conditions that will support the weight of a tractor.  In several recent seasons getting on the land after sowing in autumn here has been very difficult.

At a recent conference an independent scientist reported on trials of OSR without neonics, and he found it hard to grow a decent crop.  Maybe the pest pressure is higher than it used to be, maybe the pests have changed, or maybe our perception of what makes a good crop have changed.  So I believe that the OSR area in the UK will decline for the duration of the moratorium (ie at least two years) - the only question is by how much.  Any local boost in OSR field numbers this year might be farmers playing catch up after being unable to drill the crop in 2012, or a rush to sow OSR in autumn 2013 before the moratorium started.

Gavin