From:
Peter Amschel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 18:25:22 +0000
> From:          Jeff May <[log in to unmask]>
> To:            [log in to unmask]
>
> QUESTION...What is the LEGAL process that has to be taken in order
> for honey to be considered to be pasteurized?? My understanding of
> the pasteurization process is to heat a liquid to a high enough and
> long enough temperature to kill any harmful bacteria and to prevent
> or stop the fermentation process.

In California, the Golden State, the Land of Milk and Honey, the
State Food and Agriculture Code requires that milk be pasturized but
for honey there is no such requirement. Here is the milk code
section, fyi:

" FAC §32734. (a) In addition to any other provision of law,
the director shall require inspections at least quarterly of all milk
products plants that pasteurize milk or milk products, manufacture
cheese, or manufacture raw milk cheese. The inspection procedures
shall include sanitation inspections and pasteurization equipment
controls and tests, where applicable. The procedure shall include,
but is not limited to, all of the following:

    (1) Review of all pasteurization records required pursuant to
    Sections 34007, 34064, and 34065.

    (2) Inspection and testing of all pasteurization equipment to
    ensure its cleanliness and proper operating condition.

    (3) Inspection of all equipment, facilities, raw milk and milk
    products handling practices, and surroundings to ensure adequate
   sanitation.

    (4) Sampling and testing of raw products and processed milk
    products.

    (b) The findings of all inspections, sample results, controls, and
    tests shall be prepared in writing by the inspector and submitted
    to the director.
 At