From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:57:00 -0700
>But you did not send the Bayer paper, which was one of the two.

You are absolutely right Stan--my apologies.  I had just spent a couple of
hours searching and digesting papers on the subject.  My screw up--I had
only found a version in Spanish, and suffered from a brain fart, thinking
that I sent you the right ones.

I can empathize with you about dial up, as I've only had high speed for a
couple of years.   Ditto with the problems with downloading research papers.
The "system" is not at all user friendly for Joe Public!  Since I don't have
the dough or university access to subscribe to the major library programs, I
generally follow this order when searching:
1. Google.  Oddly, sometimes I can get free access to a paper, then hours
later I can't!  Or as you found, the link no longer works.
2. www.researchgate.net/publications.Publications.html (just found this
recently)
3.  check the author's website for pdf's
4.  write the author or impose on someone who has access through a
university library.  I hesitate to name names, since I'm not sure about the
legalities.  But I immensely appreciate the great help that I get from a few
others.

>  >Yes, it affects their immunity by affecting their behaviour.  I find that
> interesting and at least as pertinent, since bees have little cellular
> immune defense.

I found it interesting, too.  However, bees do have a very strong cellular
immune defense, both innate and induced, plus a strong humoral defense.
Bees can clear 99% of experimentally injected bacteria within hours!  There
is a common misconception that bees lack a strong immune system.  However,
the behavioral aspect is of interest, especially to me with regard to
thermoregulation.

>  >Which results in more termites dying at a lower dose of imidacloprid, a
> sublethal dose.  Isn't that enhanced lethality?

Sorry, I'm a very literal word guy.  Not trying to be picky, but my mind
dissects biological issues to the fine points.  Helps me to understand exact
mechanisms.

To my mind there is a difference in the terminology.  For example, if two
people walk through a public shower, one wearing shoes, and the other
barefoot, does that make the athlete's foot fungus more infective?  One
person is clearly more likely to become infected, but lack of foot
protection does not make the fungus more infective, nor the body less
resistant to infection.

>I do not really want to "label" the effect anyway, I would just like to
> know more about how it works.

Me, too.  Since this is a bee discussion list, when we are extrapolating
data from termites, I think that it is important to exactly understand the
mechanisms of the effect.

Randy Oliver