From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:15:22 -0400

>Look up "Rove Beetle" your description sounds just like one. I believe it is
>a common pantry pest with worldwide distribution (anywhere man is).

I believe that you are correct.  Another name for this "pantry pest", is
the one I know it by, the larter beetle.  When larter beetles are present
in stored equipment you will often see the larval form crawling in and on
the comb.  It is twice as long as the adult,  quite thin, but covered with
long hairs.

Aside from some gnawing on the wood, (which is seen as small holes), larter
beetles are not only innocuous, they may be beneficial.   They do not seem
to damage the comb, but they eat the cocoons, old pollen and debris.  I was
told by Endel Karmo that larter beetles will loosen and consume AFB scales.

Regards,
Stan