From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 08:21:20 -0600
> I believe both Bee Quick & sucracide useful tools for the beekeeper
> due to their being safe for the beekeeper and honey.

That may well be true, and, if so, this technique could turn out to be very
useful.  What I wonder is whether the products mentioned are approved for
use in this fashion in various jurisdictions?  Or will be?

Seems to me that sucracide is approved in the US for use as labelled, and
this seems to be reasonably close to the label.  Moreover, SOE is known to
be almost completely safe for the operator and unlikely to contaminate
honey.  On the other hand, I am not as sure about Bee Quick.  Is it approved
for use in bee hives?  In the USA?  Elsewhere?  Last I heard from our co-op
was that we are not to use BeeQuick or be at risk of having our honey
rejected, and that butyric anhydride is the only chemical permitted for
honey removal use in Canada.  Maybe that has changed?

The whole question of approvals for materials to be used in beehives is a
tough one.   Apparently no approval is required for wood or nails and wire,
although our CFIA will not permit wood in contact with honey in an
extracting establishment.  Sugar and HFCS are apparently not questioned by
authorities, unless they appear in the extracted honey.  Beekeepers seem
able to feed BeePro and soy and yeast without challenge.  Beyond that, it
seems to me that we are in a grey area that is subject to the whims and ad
hoc judgements of various inspection and enforcement agencies.

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/