Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:50:17 -0400
One simple observation.  A queenless colony will more or less cease  pollen
collection, but will still gather nectar.  Same for a colony with a  viable
queen  who is present, but not laying.  This follows the amount  of
uncapped brood, as that decreases, so does the pollen collection, while the  nectar
collection increases.

We've documented this in our studies.  Others have commented that if  one
traps off pollen, the colony may increase the number of bees collecting
pollen.  We'd extended this to say, if the colony doesn't need pollen, it  may
shift most of its foraging  over to nectar, which  is needed for  the
survival of the adult bees.

Jerry