From:
Josh Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:57:32 -0600
Hi all,

This afternoon is my first go at extraction. I've got three hives with
11 deeps ready to go. My garage has been converted into a crude honey
house, but some things I wanted to have ready are not in operation. My
sump pump is out of commission and I couldn't get a utility sink with
running hot water hooked up in time.

What I am concerned about now is having the frames warm enough to get
the honey out easily. I have a pretty decent extractor - radial, holds
36 frames, power - so I initially wasn't too concerned about warming
them, but I've heard I should be. It is sort of chilly here in S.
Alberta, but sunny, so I was thinking of tarping them for a few hours in
the sun. Any ideas?

I am also looking for a good way to deal with uncapping and the cappings
left over. I am considering rigging a mesh basket into the extractor
just for cappings. Is it worth it at this point?

Hope to hear from some of you in time. I should have written earlier.

Thanks,

Josh

Also: I am looking to hear about any experiences dealing with food grade
epoxies and galvanized steel. My extractor is galvanized and I am
looking at coating it over the winter.