Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:07:55 -0800
> > Talking about the exceptions is a distraction from what most are using
> > and what is really happening: nothing much.

> Except when the exceptions are healthy and what most are using then
> requires treatments for controlling pests, predators and diseases for what
> is really happening. But indeed nothing much, as yet!

Well, actually, I was referring to references mentioning larger cells, not
to small, or 'natural' cells and I really do not want to get into the
amazing claims made for the latter.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdJ0h1ztuMA

_But_, I am reminded that Europeans tend to have a wider range of cell sizes
and access to some foundations with much larger cells than Americans.  I
have always found that odd, but maybe the bees there or some environmental
factors there are inexplicably different?  I still recall Jerry's story of
hauling bees to Maryland and finding they could not get through screens they
were going through just fine, days before back in the West.

That is not to say that Americans have not made some big foundations, but
the ones I am aware of were intended to be an intermediate size between
worker and drone.  The idea was that the queen would find them less
attractive and that they would be used for honey storage, and because the
capillary effect would be less, that they would extract better.

allen
Today, in Laguna Beach, CA.
---
Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but
it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.
Jimmy Wales, Keynote Speech, SXSW 2006