From:
George_Willy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:48:53 +0500
>I am interested in a recipe for waterproof shoe polish. It requires 4 oz
>beeswax, 4 oz resin, 1 pt linseed oil, 1/4 pt turpentine.  Has anyone
>any ideas for obtaining the resin.  Being a Scot I am unwilling to pay
>for this.  Can you obtain the resin from pine trees and if so by what
>method?  I have tried to cut the bark of Scots pines but I think I would
>be there till doomsday trying to get 4 ozs!
>
>Harry
>Scotland.
Harry:
        I am not sure but I think that I can help you. In Vermont there is
a tree called balsum fir which grows everywhere.  At this time of year
there are blisters of sap just under the bark which I believe is rosen or
maybe a diluted form of it. I know people harvest this liquid which is
colorless and extreemly sticky to the touch by using large hypodermic
needles.
        What we use for waterproofing boots is 1/3 part beeswax 1/3 part
vegetable oil or rendered bears fat which is preferred and 1/3 part neats
foot oil.  Heated and stired till cool this will keep the water out and
still lets the leather breath.
        George

George & Lorraine Willy
The Village Inn of East Burke