From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:30:13 EDT
    A new round of aerial applications for mosquitoes is already underway, or
being planned in many areas of the eastern US.  Unfortunately many beekeepers
and many of our bee officials will follow right along like bleating sheep,
covering their hives, and their butts, and not deal with the real issue. We
in the bee world have an insight into the interrelationships of the natural
world that the public does not have, and only if we get involved, will the
public not be hoodwinked.   Will You Help?

   Massive applications of insecticides over wide areas can do immense
environmental damage. There are no islands of safety for beneficial insects
to hide and recover.

   Many of these applications are illegal, a violation of label directions,
yet the public officials that run them seem to be immune from accountability

   After adulticide aerial applications, the mosquitoes will be back in a few
days. The bees and other beneficial insects will take YEARS to recover.
These insects are vital to our (human) survival!   I've seen the terrible
loss of bees and other beneficials from the 1989 applications in South
Carolina, and I'll tell the full tale to anyone who hasn't heard it, but I
won't bore the rest of you, only to note that it took a decade to recover to
near normal.

   The end result of such projects is a decrease in biodiversity, and an
increase in our future dependence on pesticides to handle the population
explosions of pests that have lost their natural controls.  Great program if
you manufacture or sell pesticides...Follow the money trail!

   We are already seeing population explosions of pests in some areas of the
country. In the past few years the Southwest has had massive problems with
grasshoppers. Nature will sometimes get off balance and a population
explosion will result. But nature will not do this year after year! Someone
has killed off the natural predators of the grasshoppers, particularly those
which prey on the first generation. Things are out of balance. We've got to

    The standard defense of these programs is that it is a public health
issue.  Believe me, the loss of our pollinators is also a public health
issue! I have seen a child die of starvation, and it's a horror that will
live with me for my lifetime. Do we want to see our children and
grandchildren experience the same?

   When the planes go up, the battle with mosquitoes is already lost.

    If a program is underway in your area, get involved.  Find out what
material is being used and what the label directions say. Get knowledgeable
about pesticides. Find out who is selling the pesticide in use, and the
relationship they have with the public officials who approve the
applications. Get on their case and stick to it. Get publicity. Write letters
to editors. Seek prosecution for label violations.

   Buy or borrow a camcorder and record applications in progress. If it is an
adulticide which is forbidden to apply while bees are foraging, find foraging
bees in the application area to show the violation. Show dead bees wherever
you can find them, in the field is more significant than at the hives. Keep
notes and records. Ask your state pesticide officials to cite and prosecute
violators, even if they are public officials. They probably won't do it, but
it might make them think harder.

Here are some aids:

How to get copies of pesticide labels online:
http://pollinator.com/pesticide_misuse.htm

Beneficial insects and biological control links:
http://pollinator.com/beneficial.htm

Documentation of previous violations in a county program
http://members.aol.com/gardenbees/

Dave Green      SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com