From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2016 09:10:55 -0500
I was forwarded the quote below last week, and asked for comment.

> Contrary to Dr. Fischer's assertion, some scientists can actually
> discuss and debate among themselves respectively and politely,
> at least in the biological sciences.  With Bee-L specifically, there
> are a number of top-notch bee researchers who lurk, and then
> discuss posts off list.

There was no contention made that there was no respect.

The contention fails to acknowledge that a contrasting view on "science"
should not be viewed as a personal affront.
Scientific debate as a "full body contact sport" explains why actual debate
has been difficult here since 2006 or so, and the protestations made above
tends to prove the point. But my comments were not directed at beekeepers,
or those who write articles for beekeepers. Of course a beekeeper can expect
to be treated politely by a researcher in private conversations, it is the
public debate where the need is often felt to "defend one's position" when
two parties have contrasting views.

This presents a risk to a researcher, as one presents hard facts at the risk
of seeming to start an argument with a beekeeper.  The beekeeper is certain
to argue, this is innate. So, institutions have, since the early 2000s,
simply prohibited participation in online forums as the situation was a
non-win timewaster.

One need look no further than Jerry's post of Nov 10th to see exactly what I
was talking about:

> Randy, I'll call you out on this one.  This is not true.
> We've done several virus studies using different viruses.
> Feeding in syrup is often the quickest and fastest way
> of infecting bees in both cages and in colonies.

Was that "disrespectful" or not "polite"?
I think it is all in the eye of the beholder.
A long and slow Q&A resulted as a series of arguments were offered and
rejected.