From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 07:25:02 +0100
In message <000e01c78601$25157140$1abc59d8@BusyBeeAcres>, Bob Harrison
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>In Europe you mostly run dark races which had been exposed to TM.

Acarine mites (TM to you) are endemic at least in the UK. They have not
been a major problem here in many many years. This has caused people to
suggest the mites are of less vigour or have died out or whatever, which
is also untrue. See below.

> In the
>U.S. we mostly run Italian bees which in the 80's had NEVER seen a TM. My
>Italian bees have always had problems dealing with TM. Treatment once a
>year costs around fifty cents plus labor. Left untreated for a couple years
>they start crashing in winter.

Well, even in Italian stock you find some tolerant (prefer that term to
resistant) stock in the US. Back in the 1980's I used to buy a lot of
queens (a lot in UK terms anyway, a tiny amount in your terms) from
various breeders and races. Italians as you say were very liable to mite
problems, and did not give much honey in our climate anyway. My personal
favourite at the time was the Midnite (I got them from York's), which
worked well here and gave good harvests. However, like all the US stock
I tried up until I met the NWC, they were very liable to go fine for a
season, and then over the next couple they died out in large numbers
showing all the classic external symptoms which pointed the finger at
these mites. The mites were still here of course, and as soon as
susceptible stock appeared they showed their hand.

However Bob, one of your current favourite suspects is viruses, and not
too long ago  this subject was discussed, and there was some valuable
input from Norman Carreck, which finger viruses as actually the main
cause of perceived TM symptoms, and that no real link was found between
these symptoms and the mites. He stopped short of calling it
coincidental but seemed to imply so, and that somehow the conditions
that favoured the mite also favoured the viruses, and that they had been
unable to show a direct mite related vector of spread. My personal
opinion is that something must have been being missed
somewhere.........it seems a very big co-incidence..........and the
conditions for the virus in the US MUST have existed at times in the
past when TM were not there, so why the huge die off when the mites
arrived if mites are not a vector of spread.?

>>Only the relatively few colonies that have more than 30% of their bees
>infested   are more likely to die than uninfested colonies - because of the
>slightly  shortened lives of infested bees - and then only in late winter or
>early
>
>If the all the above Bailey said was true in the U.S. would we have lost
>over a million commercial hives to TM in the 80's when TM arrived?

I did not know Bailey. However, in the UK we have a bit of a problem
with some thinking our little island state has the answer to everyone
else's problems and that 'foreign' research is somehow inferior. (We
tend to extrapolate our local experiences into areas where it is
actually invalid, and there is often a failure to appreciate the
necessary cultural differences between real sharp end commercial honey
producers and their ways of operating, and UK methods, almost all of
which (some of mines included) are amateur derived.)

Bailey's statement and your losses are not actually mutually exclusive,
especially if you accept his statement being in a UK context and yours
being in a US one. 'All beekeeping is local' (in terms of both location
and timing) raises its head again. I suspect his quoted statement to be
incomplete and I am sure this would have been clear from a full
transcript. Talk was about UK experiences at the time. UK experience in
the 1920's would have told you a very different story, and as regards
the timeline of exposure that is where you were in the 1980's. I still
remember my father showing me TM related symptoms as a boy back in the
1960's, when we still had occasional upwellings of it, and the relict
susceptible stock was still causing vulnerability.

Nowadays in native stock I never see symptomatic TM problems, and know
what stock from other parts is likely to show similar qualities. ( Not
naming names on list.)

CCD related to TM?  Don't know. However, the last really serious event
of that nature in my local area, (a few minor ones have happened since)
was spring 1986. I got off lightly here, although it might have been
better if I had not. One neighbour lost 494 out 501 that year. Mostly
the same symptoms...........very few bees and a queen
remaining.....sometimes as few as 20 adult bees...a patch of brood
hopelessly large for the bees to care for...........no mites (varroa was
not present at the time). Cause? Summer 1985 was the cause. Nothing for
the bees to get in terms of natural supplies from the start of July
onwards. Weather truly awful (can also be caused by drought as one of
the lesser events in the 90's showed) and not enough nutrients gathered.
Not enough young bees raised. Old bees dying off, but still just enough
of them to keep carrying away the dead, so you ended with largely clean
hives with plenty of stores, usually pollen too as these old bees burned
out and died once the weather opened up for them, so they gathered stuff
but had very short lives remaining. Yes it started in autumn when very
poor colony size and condition was already apparent. Rapid dwindling
happened up to New year in many cases, and later many collapsed away to
next to nothing as soon as spring 86 hit.

No robbing? Yes it was the same. Why? There were not enough strong
colonies remaining to do the robbing, and all the dead outs were a
veritable smorgasbord to them. Too much available and not enough bees to
exploit it.

Why did I think I might have been better taking the hit like the others?
Too many were so drastically weakened that it took most of 1986 to get
them up to any level of bee power at all. Remember many were down to a
single seam of bees, often even that partial, and we got them through
1986 in the hope of getting them through the winter................only
to take a further heavy loss that winter too as they really had not
built up enough to get through properly. Would have been better to clear
the decks of these dinks and make fresh splits.

Same as CCD? I don't pretend to know, but for sure, once we were over
the hump into summer 1987 (when I still had a stock of stores filled
dead outs sealed up in my yard) colonies established in these self same
boxes prospered as normal and there was never any evidence of bees
avoiding them.

BTW, to anyone who wants to ask 'Why did you not feed
them?'...........the hives were on our heather all through the dearth
period. Heather yields like crazy in most conditions with adequate
rainfall, with plenty of nectar and plenty of pollen. We had plentiful
flowering, and all the bees were on a flowering crop.............all it
needed to put things right was a week of reasonable weather....a lot
less time than it would have taken to feed them all (closed hive top
feeders here so you dont feed your neighbour too, which they would be
happy to accept and not reciprocate!)......and it just seemed impossible
that we would not get it. We didn't, and by the end of August the die
was cast for the winter ahead.

This year? CCD/ Marie Celeste syndrome? None. Best wintering in living
memory. Many apiaries with zero losses. Overall maybe
3%..............and almost all of those are due to dud queens.
--
Murray McGregor