From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:38:37 -0600
Hello All,
I direct this information to Joao in particular. I started to send directly
but thought the list might find interesting. Has any research on take overs
been done in Brazil?

I listened to the research being done yesterday by the Tucson Bee Lab
(taped) which
does the AHB research.

I have said many times on BEE-L I believe very different genetics exist in
AHB in different areas. The AHB in Arizona is the most unusual in my
opinion. Florida behavior seems different but could be the same and seems
different because not as much research has been done so far.

The Tucson labs research this season in one area was on the take over of
hives by AHB.

Here is what they said:

The takeover swarm can contain up to 5 mated queens
and many intercaste females (half queen /half worker).

The swarm enters the hive by fighting their way in and protecting the queen
by a type of balling( surrounding her and protecting her).

She then starts laying eggs and the take over has began. All (up to five
queens so far) can be laying in different areas of the hive.

The lab reported take overs common and on the rise in their yards.

Bob