Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2014 12:06:28 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Hive Track Entries

I recently got an iPhone and a couple of weeks ago discovered the application "Voice Memos".  This seems like it might be a great way to record voice memos about the information you might save to Hive Tracks.  Haven't used it in this manner yet, but looking forward try it.  Then it's really easy to play back your voice notes and transcribe them to Hive Tracks.

Mike in LA

On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:21 PM, Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"...Do many subscribers use Hive Tracks?  If so,
perhaps we might open BEE-L to a few HT questions.  Comments?..."

I have been a user of Hive Tracks for a couple of years (long before they introduced the Pro version of it this year).    The key word is "user" of Hive Tracks.  

It is a great package and I tip my hat to the developers (who are also bee keepers).    However, if you have a lot of colonies, you need a person dedicated to just the entry side of it.

I am  embarrassed to state while all my different bee yards are defined to HT, the information has not been updated since late last year going into winter.   So at the current time, the latest info on each colony is written on the outer cover of each colony with a black sharpie marker (of which I always have at least 5 stuck in my front pocket).   Even though the sharpie is supposed to be a permanent marker, the sun, wind and rain will do a quick job of fading it out and washing it out so you always have room for the notes you make on the next visit.

I too need to focus on using HT, but when I get home, I am usually too tired to sit in  front of the PC to do the updates (and I hate using the internet on a small screen smart phone or tablet) OR focused on other matters at hand.

I wonder if that could be the next enhancement to Hive Tracks.    Be able to take a picture of your notes on a paper tablet or on the outer  cover, have OCR software convert it to text and then store in the Hive Tracks repository for you.

In any case, your idea of being able to post and answer HT questions in the BEE-L forum is a good one.

Steve 
Central Illinois

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2