From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 13:47:39 -0500
It would be a shame to lose the customary Dadant catalog, but business is
business.  Look what happened to Sears & Roebuck!

I for one used to really look forward to the Dadant catalogs, especially
before they went to the large format.  Like the Kelley catalog, there was
alot of information in there.

Still, I have not bought much of anything from Dadant in the past ten
years.  Even the local Dadant dealers (or former "dealers") were going
elsewhere for stock.  The woodenware and foundation especially became too
expensive, so folks began to stock only "commercial"-grade woodenware
(occasional knots, not-so perfect fitting parts) and foundation was
purchased in bulk from whatever manufacturer had the best price at the
time.

The more recent suppliers like Betterbee, Mann Lake and Brushy Mountain (as
well as Kelley') have for me had the best prices overall, and Dadant
usually could not come close.  Look at the prices on beginners' outfits,
for instance. Those from Dadant or Root became pretty expensive - quite an
investment in themselves.  They also were listed as "everything you need,"
when actually a beginner would require much more (food chamber, supers
etc.)  This somehow seemed misleading.

I do hope Dadant will continue to be major suppliers for hobbiests at
least.  Maybe they could get more in line with the other suppliers.  FWIW