Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:21:09 -0600
> I am so glad that most beekeepers are not of your mindset.

I find it quite fascinating to watch this interchange between two respected
beekeepers, one who is not inclined to believe any evidence presented by the
"Establishment", and an one who apparently is willing to accept them at face
value, possibly because he has taken the task of negotiating with "the
enemy" and in order to do so and listen effectively, has to suspend
judgement.

Both positions are quite valid and reasonable IMO, and so we find ourselves
treated to a very civil slow-motion demonstration of dialectics.

Personally, I am in the middle.  I have long thought that it is very
plausible that we have not thought of the correct (effective) way to
evaluate the real effects of pesticides and that we tend to view the
question in the context 'framed' by convention, the chemical companies' spin
doctors and the the researchers who have been financed largely by those
firms.

Framing necessarily leads to "in the box" thinking, and the answer IMO is to
be found "outside the box".  Bob is definitely not willing to confine his
ideas to the box where we are told to do our thinking.

It seems very obvious to me that these chemicals which are designed to
disrupt insect life must damage at least some individual bees to various
extents on a daily basis anywhere they are employed due to the fact that
localized concentrations must -- on a micro basis -- exceed the average
application level, and that some environmental features and idiosyncracies
must concentrate and extend the lifespan of the applied chemicals.

The question to my mind is not whether there is such damage so much as
whether the collateral damage in employing these pest controls is
cceptable  -- in the minds of contemporary humans, at least. (Just defining
a box, here, since the issue is much larger).

> Instead bees have two strategies to protect themselves. On the first day
> of foraging in a new area ,scout bees are sent out first to taste the
> nectar and pollens- if any are adversely effected they will bee expelled
> from the hive immediately and the colony will avoid the area... Once
> foraging begins ,nurse bees in the hive clean foragers each time they
> return. These strategies protect the colony from mass exposure to lethal
> doses of chemicals., but they do leave the bees particularly susceptible
> to sub-lethal exposures to any contaminants they encounter."

I know nothing of this writer, but I love the insight here, assuming it can
be proven

Is this fantasy, or fact?  Are these things demonstrated in well-run
studies?