From:
LARS HANSEN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LARS HANSEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:33:53 +0200
Dear Tom.

Iīm pretty sure, youīve come across a kind of wasp called Vespa Crabro, that lives mostly in woods. Itīs not unusual here in Denmark - as a matter of fact, Iīve been killing 20+ of them
during early summer, 4 or 5 of them queens.
Nobody I know of has been stung, niether has anyone reported any agression.
This rather large insect does have a larger amount of poison, but to my knowledge, itīs
the same poison as by the usual wasp - just in maybe double portion.
Thus the sting is pretty painful and according to my book " ..a few stings may be
dangerous to children".
To be honest, I donīt feel comfortable having them around, and they are pretty impressive.
The queen beeing between 1― and 2 inches long and with a very deep fligt-sound they seem like small helicopters.
Iīve seen one flying around for more than a minute with a 2-inch catarpillar. They seem to feed on the same as the common wasp. They are reported to be able to rob out beehives very effectively in the autumn - "my wasps" didnīt live that long, and my wife has been laughing (from inside the kitchen window!!) watching me ( 2 meters tall and 110 kilos) jumping around the house and yard trying to wack them from the air with whatever I had close to wack with :-)
Hope you and your bees donīt find them around.

:-)  Lars, Denmark
Third year beginner together with my father.
7 hives, old fashioned stationary Danish hives