From:
"Duane W. Bailey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 10:06:40 -0500
>originally in conference WN-BEENET on WILDBEES (WILD BEE'S BBS)
>
>search: HONEY   ADDED VALUE   Mail Order
>
>   As a producer of a speciality crop like honey the opportunity to
>add value to ones' production is limited, but today the future is
>cloudy with the winds of change, and one of these changes has been
>an increased competition for bulk market share from off shore producers.
>
>   The small to mid-size beekeeper can look to other work to increase
>the value of his production. This is not a new idea but one that merits
>more study. A few years ago I attended a meeting of world wide honey
>producers and was fascinated by the reports from Germany that at the
>time honey was considered by many as essential in the diet for a normal
>healthy life, and the the main retail outlets for honey was the drug
>store, and/or mail order.
>
>   Well honey reached our chain drug stores maybe 20-25 years ago, but
>it is sold mostly as a lost leader to attract people (older) to the
>store, and the quality has not always been good at any price. But still
>it has become an important market for packers on the west coast who
>fight to see who can wholesale honey the cheapest. Hardly the added
>value market we as producer maybe looking for.
>
>    The mail order business is another story, I don't know off hand
>if its been that good for any honey producers in it, and know of at
>least one who lost a lot of money after several years trying to
>capitalize on a well known name. But I would like to report on one
>approach that at least looks interesting and attractive in the way it
>is presented in a up scale catalog for personal and business gifts.
>
>    The company is called RENT MOTHER NATURE and if you want to send
>for their 53 page catalog the address is:
>
>               52 New Street, P.O. Box 380193
>               Cambridge, MA 02238-0193
>               (800) 296-9445 Customer Service
>
>    According to what Bob MacArthur writes in the very excellent
>quality catalog they "lease" you MAPLE TREES, BEE HIVES, APPLE, CITRUS,
>COFFEE, and LOBSTER POTS, plus a few more.
>
>    You receive "beautifully calligraphed and personalized Lease
>Document (suitable for framing), a series of Progress Reports advising
>of actual growing conditions, and much more..."putting culture back
>into agriculture" MacArthur writes. In the end you get at least 20 ounces
>of fresh honey per lease, and a promise for "more if your bees are
>extra-industrious!".
>
>    The catalog if full of different options and items of honey, beeswax
>candles, soaps and the like along with the fruit, nuts and so on. The
>added value is in the mail advertising, PROMOTION of the abstract idea
>of leasing a bee hive or fruit tree, and in the attractive packaging,
>ease of ordering via 800 numbers, credit cards and the fact that this
>catalog is more then likely sent only to areas and people who can afford
>to shop for the quality offered and are not so concerned with price
>like you and I.

> [...]

I, too, recently saw this catalog and was initially enthusiastic.  To my
reading, however, they seem to imply that you get the full production of a
bee colony, apple tree, or whatever, and the quantities are ridiculous. (20
oz. of honey from a hive is a good example.)  I would think anyone wanting
to try this would want to be completely straight-forward about what was
being paid for.

Duane W. Bailey
Amherst College