From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:02:43 -0400
Blundering Along in Bee Breeding

Bee breeding has doubtless suffered more than has breeding of other animals from a lack of correct ideas of the laws of inheritance, it is gratifying to note that men of science are giving some attention to this subject but it would be better still if some of them would give us something through the press to take the place of the many ideas which so often suggest or directly teach wrong ideas.

We know that color and temper are separately inheritable, also size and color, and a little is known concerning a few other characters, but very little about any. Our great need just now is for some information that we can get from no body but the geneticist, whether cytologist or experimental breeder or both. Can’t we have a contribution now and then dealing with inheritance as it occurs in our strange little animals? Every breeder will welcome something really instructive for without some help on our problems we will just keep on blundering along and do but little in a long time.

C. C. Stone, Clarksville, Texas
In "The Beekeepers Item" June, 1925