From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:43:27 -0400
Steve asks  My question is what type of shape do I want for
the evodia tree? Do I want one central leader, allowing only
horizontal-type branches from this central leader?

All the Evodia that I have seen have a reasonably long trunk without
branches (8-10 feet) and then good horizontal branching.  I suspect, but do
not know, that the lower branches die off as the tree gains height and the
lower branches become shaded.  Ash has the same tendency.

As you say, the general rule is to avoid diagonals.  With a fast growing
tree like this, my suggestion is to leave the diagonals for now to give the
tree the benefit of added leaf coverage during 1999.  Next winter
(1999-2000) you might want to cut the lower diagonals off.  If you live in
an area where you are concerned about ice or snow damage splitting the
diagonals, put a stake in to support the main truck, and tie up the
diagonals to the main truck and the stake.

Good luck,

Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds   the finest in comb honey production.