From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:57:17 -0800
>In fact, all sorts of operations, from the most Simon-pure stationary
isolated organic 'natural' operations to the most promiscuous truck-driving
pollination whores  are experiencing this disorder, so let's give it a rest,
OK?

Hear, hear!

Enough with the blame game.  Half of all managed colonies go to almonds.
Most commercial operations would have gone belly up without migratory
pollination income.

Without migratory pollinators, North American food production would suffer
greatly for a number of important crops.

The demonized migratory pollinators are generally honest, smart, hardworking
beekeepers who want their bees to be healthy and happy, and who rightly feel
that they are providing a beneficial and meaningful service to agriculture
and society as a whole.

It is obvious that the widespread transport of bees will spread pathogens,
but it would be difficult to explain to the hardworking growers and
orchardists why out-of-state bees shouldn't be brought in to provide the
pollination services that they need.  Large-scale orchards and crop
monoculture have become the norm, and will require large-scale pollination.

We are all in the same boat.  Those who have not experienced colony
collapses should not feel smug--they may well be next.

I am currently taking replacement nuc orders from many small-scale
beekeepers who never move their hives, aren't exposed to ag chemicals, don't
use synthetic miticides, nor feed their bees supplements.  Colony losses
have been way up these last few years, although we have had varroa and most
of the other blamed factors for a long time.

How about we rally around the researchers such as Jerry, who have already
looked closely at all the proposed causes of such losses, and are closing in
on some likely pathogens.  No one, least of all researchers, expect that the
standard losses due to varroa, DWV, tracheal mite, nosema, pesticides, or
poor weather will go away.  But at least they may finally identify the cause
for the spate of collapses that cannot be simply attributed to the usual
suspects.

Randy Oliver
Healthy bees this year, but not smug about it