From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:54:12 -0700
Hi:

I'm looking for help.  John Edwards suggested constructing a table for
western states concerning bees, land use, regs, policies, etc.  We have
been asked to provide maps of the world, showing the times of year when
honey bees could be set out and expected to fly.

I suspect that for North America, one could use meteorological maps showing
average time of first and last frosts or some version of the temperature
maps used by gardeners (Zone 1, 2, 3 etc.) to provide an "at a glance"
snapshot.  Do similar maps exist for South America, Europe, African, Asia,
Australia, etc.?  If so, where can I find them (and digital maps would be
preferred).

If people can provide me information about bee forage seasons and land use
regs and policies, I will be glad to pull them together and post the
results (probably as maps on our web page - with credit given to contributors.

Individuals can help also.  Any general maps will lack specificity for
local areas.  For example, I can fine tune any map for Montana (where
forage season is partially a function of altitude and whether you are east
or west of the Rockies).

Thanks

Jerry J. Bromenshenk
Research Professor