HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:13:02 +0000
A couple of thoughts and perhaps slightly pedantic clarifications on
Ron's comments below.

My form comparisons are between Wales, the Outer Hebrides and Virginia -
not England.  Also, there are significant variations in form at some
sites.  The poor whites in Virginia and one of the Hebridean sites
varied tremendously from the other four (2 Welsh, one slave quarter, 1
Hebridean).  I agree that it is very interesting that those four
assemblages are quite similar, and I've made a lot of it, but not all
sites adhere to some ad hoc 'rural poor' model.

Incidentally, I'm painfully aware that 6 sites is a small sample, and I
am expanding this research.

Furthermore, while availability often conditions acquisition, I fully
agree with Ron that it's worth looking for ethnic and/or national traits
in assemblages, and would strongly encourage anyone to examine this
issue when relevant - although it's important to be aware of the
potential pitfalls.  To use an American example, the Praetzellises would
no doubt remind us that the presence of another ethnic/national group's
material culture is not necessarily itself an indication of a shift to
another worldview.

Finally, following on from George Miller's earlier comments, an increase
in the percentage of transfer-prints in an assemblage, presumably cost
based initially, is also observable on this side of the Atlantic.  As
noted previously, one of the things I find interesting is that the
percentage of transfer prints in Wales skyrockets at just about the same
time that white granite becomes important in the States. Coincidence, an
attempt to find an alternative market, or just off-loading to the
margins of the UK?

Alasdair

--
Alasdair Brooks