HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"paul.courtney2" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul.courtney2
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:02:09 +0000
Robert

This deification of scholars (giving of awards and medals etc) is very
unBritish but Adrian Oswald
as the mentor of Noel Hume (before he left these shores) in London
archaeology and creator of clay pipe studies is a good candidate perhaps
rather than the slightly younger though no less brilliant group group who
founded SPMA. (John Hurst, Ken Barton, Lawrence Butler, Robert Charleston,
John Ashdown, Peter Brears, David Crossley and others ). I heard Adian
Oswald give a paper on clay pipes to a local archaeology society when I was
about 13 (c.1968) and met many of the rest when I went to my first SPMA
conference in about 1972 in York as a 17 year old. I even remember going
drinking (illegally even for here) with Karlis Karklins and another young
arcaheologist over from Canada (who I would love to identify- Karlis). I
must be getting old reminiscing like this. However, I have 4 reports to
write by the end of the month or my life will be terminated.

paul courtney