HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 06:22:22 -0500
There is a tradition among collectors of modern Wedgwood that the
pieces they sell in Canada are better than the ones sold in the U S.
I had a friend back in the sixties whose brother was a ceramic dealer
in Canada. She bought all her Wedgwood through her brother because
she said that Wedgwood sold only second quality in the U S. The
reason was that Americans had no taste.

I'll chalk that up to folklore until someone shows that the Wedgwood
factory had some kind of "seconds" pile for the U S market.

But of course, we know that Americans have no taste.

By the same token, in Iceland, I encountered fish merchants who used
the term "English fish" to describe product that wasn't quite fit for
human consumption, but would be gobbled up by Englishmen.
--
* Without compost,     *