HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Rotenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 08:45:40 -0500
Yet another reporter who suggests that digging up backyards is fun. I have a professional relationship with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that prevents me from any kind of public response, but some folks ought to enlighten Dave that even when finding historic artifacts, "experts" should be summoned -- his advice for action upon finding prehistoric artifacts.

-David Rotenstein

PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE
David Templeton's Seldom Seen: Finding a 'portal to the past' in the backyard

Sunday, December 10, 2000

By David Templeton, Post-Gazette Staff Writer
Seldom Seem, David Templeton's whimsical perspective on life and times in and around Washington County, appears weekly in Washington Sunday.

When Jim Craig of Claysville described how to learn about history by digging a hole in the backyard, I nodded in agreement. His pronouncement exhumed a fond memory of about 20 years ago.

Years ago, I was digging a leach bed in my backyard -- the Panama Canal was dug faster -- when I hit something I thought was yet another frustrating chunk of sandstone.

I dug like a dog, both paws scratching at the subterranean barrier, and in time retrieved a fluorescent blue bottle. After repeated washings, many Q-tip swabbings and a few swipes across the old blue jeans, I held an old Milk of Magnesia bottle to the sky like the Lion King showing his newborn son to the animal kingdom.

Maybe I should notify the Smithsonian. Maybe I should call Meadowcroft Museum of Rural History. Maybe I should call someone to finish this blasted leach bed.

Still feeling like Indiana Jones at my own Temple of Doom, I decided to dig more -- the hole, not the ditch. I carefully went deeper, and sure enough, found more Milk of Magnesia bottles and several intact medicine bottles. Although no treasure, it succeeded in distracting my wife Suellen's attention from the ditched digging project.

"Former residents must have had tummy trouble," I told her. "No wonder we're having problems with the leach bed."

To which she responded, "The problem with the leach bed is you."

But that experience proved what Craig explained recently to the West Alexander Historical Society about the benefits of backyard archaeology. A hole in the backyard, he said, can be "a portal into the past."

"It's not a treasure hunt," he said. "You are trying to make a tangible link with people who occupied the site before you, and the best way to do that is with physical objects -- knives, forks, pottery, broken dishes, tools, ceramics, metal.

"In most cases, you won't find anything you wouldn't anticipate," he said. "Human nature hasn't changed. People eat, sleep and throw temper tantrums."

That's to say, you'll find glass, trash and broken dishes that provide hints of former inhabitants' lifestyles.

Craig, who just moved to Claysville, retired from the Air Force in 1990 after 24 years of active duty. "I flew a desktop," he said, describing his administrative duties. After retirement, he earned a degree in anthropology at California University of Pennsylvania, then received a master's degree in social sciences with an emphasis in cultural resources.

Fulfilling a lifelong interest in archeology, he participated in excavations and enjoyed learning "why people do things." After graduation, he took a job doing field work for environmental impact statements to determine whether properties contained cultural artifacts.

He, his wife, Sandy, and her cousin, Nancy Hunter, completed the Washington County History and Landmarks Foundation survey of agricultural architecture in South Franklin, East Finley and West Finley.

This experience taught him how and where to find artifacts on properties.

The best results, he said, are found at old houses in historic towns and on old farms. Properties along old roadways such as the National Pike also produce artifacts. On these properties, there's a high probability of finding historical artifacts but a low probability of finding prehistoric ones such as those found at Meadowcroft Rock Shelter.

If by chance you dig up something prehistoric, stop and summon experts to evaluate the site, he said.

But researching the history of one's property doesn't begin in the backyard. Craig recommends a review of public documents -- deeds, wills, census data and tax lists -- as the best way to start. For example, personal property taxes were assessed years ago, and lists exist showing what livestock, household items and even dogs were taxed.

A review of local newspapers on microfilm can provide information about weddings, deaths, community events, news items and visits from relatives.

With that as background, it's time to venture to the backyard. Craig recommends you draw a rough sketch of the backyard, put an arrow designating north, and use the map to document your dig.

While formal archaeological digs can involve detailed grids, careful documentation and years of excavation, backyard archaeology is less formal. But Craig advises the backyard archaeologist to document the depth and location of artifacts found and carefully dig to preserve artifacts' condition.

Now comes time to turn some soil.

First, look for depressions where people long ago dug pits to dispose of trash. Trash collection, especially in rural areas, is a modern phenomenon.

If there are no depressions, start in the middle of the yard and dig a 30-inch-wide hole deep enough to see a change in soil color. From the test pit, follow radials to dig other holes.

The sites of backyard privies can be valuable sources for artifacts because people used to dispose of broken glass, old tools and metal there, but Craig said bacteria might still be present, so he recommends using gloves and face masks during excavation.

He mentioned other possibilities for success.

"There's a phenomenon in southwestern Pennsylvania that log structures were replaced by 19th century Victorian houses as wealth and prosperity increased," he said. "For the one torn down, you can look for nails, pottery and foundations."

Items found on your property are yours to keep. If interesting enough, the items can be donated to a local museum or historical society for display. Craig said books and Internet sites can help the amateur.

Since my glassy find, Suellen has recovered pieces of crock, Mochaware and Flo Blue in our backyard while gardening, and they have become valued keepsakes. Milk of Magnesia and medicine bottles are on permanent display on window sills and fireplace mantels at the Templeton Museum of Deteriorated Antiquities.

Now I'm trying to decide where to bury broken dishes and medicine bottles to provide future generations clues about us, and I'm sure they'll conclude. "These people were sick and temperamental with bad taste in dish ware.

"And that poor idiot sure couldn't dig a leach bed."

David Templeton can be reached by e-mail at: [log in to unmask]