HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 06:13:09 -0500
Brass buttons are not easy to make, and they require considerable skill and
equipment. On the other hand, anyone can make buttons of bone or antler. It
just happens that I have occasion to deal with craft makers of both types
of button.

Right now, reindeer antler buttons are selling for exactly the same price
as hand-cast brass coat buttons. However, this reflects modern ideas of
time and work values, and may not reflect eighteenth-century comparative
values.

David Babson probably is right about availability. Bone and shell buttons
were made all over the place by cottage craft, but brass founding is a
rather arcane specialty, especially if patterns are involved. There's
plenty of archaeological evidence, however, that pewter casting was not
uncommon in Colonial America.

      _____
  ___(_____)                Gotta go. It's spring.
  Ned Heite, Camden, DE  http://home.dmv.com/~eheite/index.html