HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Mouer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:58:44 -0500
This Fall I will be offering my every-other-year course in
Historical Archaeology (ANTH394/HIST394) at Virginia
Commonwealth University. The course includes readings and
discussion in one of the fastest growing areas of
anthropology. Historical archaeology has been called "the
archaeology of us;" the subject matter is the cultural
history of the modern world, with special focus on the
Atlantic world; especially North America and the Caribbean.
There will be particular attention paid to the use of
archaeology for writing unwritten or underwritten culture
histories; such as those of African Americans, Native
Americans, women, and the working and serving classes.
Students will be introduced to the theory and methods of
historical archaeology, including the combined use of
documentary and material evidence in interpetation. The
course also covers a selection of exemplary case studies in
the field.

While the course carries no pre-requisites, upper-class
status and at least some background in history, anthropology
and/or archaeology is very highly recommended. Students in
all of my clases are required to communicate and collaborate
using an established e-mail discussion forum, and to have
(or be willing to learn) basic skills for doing research on
the wide world web. for further information, please feel
free to contact me.

--
Dan Mouer, Associate Professor
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology