From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 17:28:12 PST
About 2 weeks ago, I bought a used cd set of the Brahms String Quartets
performed by the Alban Berg Quartet(ABQ) on EMI.  I'm very impressed with
the performances:  lyrical, powerful, and loaded with emotional impact
without turning on the schmaltz.

Even my wife, up to a point, liked the recording.  She came home last
evening while the 2nd movement of the C minor quartet was playing.  Ellen
Jane tells me fondly how nice it is to come home to such good music.  She
maintained this attitude until the 4th movement came around the bend.
Then, after about 3 minutes of it, she went to the bedroom.  I joined her
- a good move.  But, the ABQ set is a great one - get it.

Don Satz